If you’ve been thinking of starting a WordPress blog for a while now, then you’re in the right spot! There’s no better time to start than today – in this post, I’ll show you how easy it is to start your own WordPress blog so you can start writing your little heart out!
As a WordPress designer, I get asked all the time about blogging and how to set up a blog so I wanted to put this post together to help anyone who is interested in learning the basics of WordPress and setting up their own blog.
Learning a new platform can be a little overwhelming sometimes, but I hope to make the process smoother for you by including important tutorials on the basics of WordPress.
You can start a blog for really cheap by signing up with BlueHost. Right now, you can sign up for as low as $3.45 per month which is less than the price of the latté that you’re drinking right now!
BlueHost is a reputable company and they’ve been around for a LONG time! Their support is awesome and I personally use them myself! You also get your domain name for free when you sign up for 12 months or more ($15 value). BlueHost offers a money-back guarantee so even if you sign up for a year and you don’t like them after a couple of months, they will refund you (you’re not locked into a contract and there are no hidden fees).
Sounds like a no-brainer to me! What are you waiting for? Sign up now for hosting and then follow my tutorial below!
Not sure if BlueHost is the right hosting company for you?
That’s a legitimate concern so let’s look at what BlueHost can do for YOU:
- Get hosting as low as $3.45 per month – that’s super cheap!
- Free Domain – When you sign up with BlueHost, you’ll get your domain name for FREE which is normally a $15 value.
- One-Click WordPress Installation – Installing WordPress has never been easier!
- Recommended by WordPress – BlueHost is the ideal platform to host WordPress websites and blogs.
- Support 24/7 – If ever you get stuck, contact one of their experts by phone, email or chat.
- Enhanced cPanel – Enhanced interface with tools that make it simple to manage everything from one central location.
- Scalability – As your blog grows, easily add extra features.
- Money-Back Guarantee – With Bluehost you’re never locked into a contract and there are no hidden fees or penalties. If ever you’re not happy, simply request a refund.
Pick Out and Register Your Domain Name
Before you sign up for any hosting, you should really pick out your domain name first. Your domain name is your blog name and your address on the web. If you’ve already got your domain name picked out, you can skip this part.
If you don’t have a name in mind, then you need to start brainstorming! Make sure it’s something easy to read and that it’s not too long. It can be whatever best represents your blog – just make sure that it’s not confusing or misleading.
Here’s an example of a domain name that may seem innocent enough but when you type it in the address bar, it looks slightly different than what you expected:
I don’t know about you but the “FART” part seems to stand out at me so my point is this…be somewhat picky with your domain name and pick something that you’ll love.
Once you’ve picked out the perfect domain name, sign up at BlueHost and get your domain name for FREE (for the first year when you sign up for at least 12 months of hosting through BlueHost).
What If You Already Have A Domain Name?
If you already bought your domain through another provider, you can still use BlueHost as your hosting provider! Just follow the instructions for How to Change Nameservers on GoDaddy.
Buy Hosting For Your New Blog
Here’s how it works at BlueHost…first you need to pick a plan: Basic, Plus or Prime. If you’re just starting out, I would recommend Basic for sure – this is all you need for the time being. When your blog starts growing, you can upgrade anytime.
With BlueHost, you have to pay for the year upfront – the minimum is 12 months. You can also opt in for a 24-month or a 36-month package. The longer package you buy, the cheaper it is but even at the bare minimum of 12 months, you’re still only paying $5.95 per month (which is a bargain) AND you get your domain FREE for the first year!
BlueHost DOES NOT offer monthly billing and I wouldn’t recommend it anyways. I recently just switched over to BlueHost myself and didn’t hesitate at all to sign up for 12 months! WHY? Because I was on monthly billing with my old hosting provider and kept forgetting to pay the invoice. When this happens, they shut down your site (until you pay). Sometimes I wouldn’t even know my site was down until I tried to log in and then I would scramble to pay the invoice ASAP to get the site back up (this was totally my fault – I kept missing the emails).
So obviously, this was getting REALLY annoying. It wouldn’t happen every month but it happened enough times for it to get under my skin. My switch to BlueHost wasn’t just for this reason (yes I could have paid for the year with my old hosting provider) but I was having other issues which prompted me to sign up with BlueHost right away for 12 months.
My advice? Sign up for at least a 12-month plan. If you’re not happy with their service, simply cancel and get a refund.
When you’re ready to start a blog on BlueHost, follow these steps:
- Go to BlueHost and click “Get Started Now”.
- Click on the package you want.
- To claim your FREE domain name, enter your chosen domain name under “New Domain”. If you already have a domain name, enter it under “I have a Domain”. Click “Next”.
- Enter all your payment information
- In the next step, you will be prompted to enter a password. Make it as secure as possible and write it down.
- Once your payment goes through successfully, you’ll get an email with all your important account information.
How to Install WordPress On Your New Blog
Remember how I told you that installing WordPress is super easy? I wasn’t joking….BlueHost makes this step virtually painless with their “one-click installation”.
- Once you’ve purchased your hosting, login to your cPanel (check your email for your account information).
- If you got your domain through BlueHost when you signed up for hosting, you can skip this part. If you bought your domain at GoDaddy, please follow the instructions on How to Changes Nameservers on GoDaddy. Next you’ll need to add your domain to your BlueHost. In your cPanel, go down to Domains and click on “Domain Manager”. Next click on “Assign a Domain to your cPanel Account” and follow the instructions.
- Once you’re in your cPanel, scroll down and click “Install WordPress”.
- Click “Get Started”.
- Pick out your domain from the list on the left (if you registered your domain with BlueHost, you should automatically see it here). Click “Next”.
- In the next step, fill in your blog name, email address and accept the terms (password is automatically generated – write all info down just in case). Click “Install”.
Congratulations! You now have your very own WordPress blog hosted on BlueHost! All of your login info will be emailed to the email address you provided. Now it’s time to start decorating your new home – there are literally millions of WordPress themes out there. There are many paid themes but there are also a gazillion free themes on the market. For more information, see Choosing the Right Theme For Your Blog.
Once you’ve got your theme picked out, you’ll need to learn how to install a WordPress theme.
You’re now READY TO ROCK!